Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I am glad that I didn't publicize my New Year's resolution: to blog more frequently. This first month has seen an embarrassing scarcity of posts.

I'll blame it on my work. I had to leave the leisure of my winter break for grueling days in parent conferences. Then I was back in the classroom, my most fruitful hours spent explaining the genitive case and the ablative of time to 7th graders. And in the evening, after work, I want to spend time with my wife and my daughters, good books and the cast of The Office on DVD. Blogging falls by the wayside when I'm working.

I'm fortunate, though, because my work brings with it reminders of why I blog (when I do) and why I should (when I don't). My seniors and I are reading Montaigne's Essays, and Montaigne, as I noted last year, is an inspiration and a model for my blogs. His learning and judgment flow through his essays with ease and charming grace. They are perfect instances of culture: a human mind enriched by reading the best books and that has made those books its own.

How does a book become mine, though? What does that mean? Montaigne helps me here: it means that I must judge it. Is the book helpful and insightful when it comes to living life, or is it silly and pedantic? Making a cultivated judgment involves learning and studying (what people call "book smarts"), but it also requires an honest assessment of the way things - and our selves - really are.

That encounter with reality is what distinguishes culture from effete and ineffectual erudition. The books and old ideas found in them give our gaze a depth and breadth that is often lacking in those endeavoring to simply "tell it like it is." The cultivated mind is balanced by the weight of a great, humane tradition as it engages with the contemporary scene. Because our time (like most other times in history) is shifting and unstable, culture is not just a frivolous extra for those who can afford it. Culture is an urgent need for everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, having a "real life" and "family" and "something better to do than sitting in a small, smelly dorm room writing down silly thoughts on the interwebs" are all decent excuses not to blog.

But if you don't have time for cultural commentary, could there be pictures of babies and puppies? Babies and puppies are always good.

faithsalutes said...

Hip Hip Hooray.

Anonymous said...

Eheu Magister! So much for that new year's resolution of blogging more...not that I have much room to talk but still...

I suppose this would excite you: I read Descent into Hell recently, and I read The Place of the Lion (again) and War in Heaven over break...(...and now I'm onto the Pickwick papers. one always needs a little Dickens to mellow out Williams' fictional frolics in the fiercly metaphysical ^_^)

I second Kelly's suggestion about babies and puppies, if you really ARE just to busy to favor us with Hansoniana wisdoms...

Anonymous said...

So you read Many Dimensions recently, eh? (I thought I should probably respond to your comment SOMETIME...)
I gotta say, that wasn't one of my favorites, but perhaps I should read it again. The Place of the Lion definitely takes the cake for me so far.
Madeline L'Engle?? I don't know about that. I never have forgiven her for writing A Wrinkle in Time, which enraged me excessively BOTH times I read it. So did A Swiftly Tilting Planet.
I've been on a bit of an Anne Bronte kick, and I keep promising myself I'll read Moby Dick but it's just so easy to get sidetracked by more frivolous things, like Horatio Hornblower or the much-beloved Sherlock Holmes...
Well I hope that you're having fun with all the time you're NOT using to blog (ahem) but I suppose you have an excuse with your career change looming and all.
Perhaps I'll run into you at graduation...