Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Goldwater Institute: Day One

Today was my first day at the Goldwater Institute. Having taught for four years, it's odd to be new, incompetent, and without 12-year-olds to boss around.

The day began at 11:30. The other interns and I gathered at the Institute for lunch and a briefing. We watched Mr. Conservative, the HBO documentary on the life of Barry Goldwater. The movie made me glad to be an Arizonan, though I have some problems with Goldwater's radical libertarianism. More on that later.

After lunch we settled into desks and began to work on our assignments. The 9 to 5 office thing is something I will have to get used to. I'm used to calling it a day at 3:00 PM with a bit of worry about the next day's activities coming around at 8:30 PM. I still have evals to work on, thankfully, to ease me out of my old ways...

No comments: