Sunday, August 27, 2006

Colbert Catholicus

Leaving church this morning, my wife informed me that Stephen Colbert would be (or should be) leaving Mass that morning, too. She had found out on Wikipedia that Colbert was Catholic. At least he had been raised Catholic, according to Wikipedia.

This led me to read for myself about Colbert and Stewart on Wikipedia. I found this sentence which summarizes something of how I feel about the two: Jon Stewart's laughs come at the expense of idealism. Both are funny men; I laugh at their jokes. Yet, at the same time, I can't help but feel a smug despair lies beneath.

Enough, for now, of moralizing.

7 comments:

Alishia said...

You forgot to mention Colbert's pre-Colbert fame on Law and Order. He once played an uptight, money laundering historical handwriting analyst/forger. It's funny to watch him get "upset."

Alishia said...

I should've said stint rather than fame. Egads.

la petite bĂȘte... said...

Is it healthy that I've seen that episode too?

Rach-o said...

Is it healthy that I don't watch Law and Order but I've seen that episode?

I do wonder though what the real Colbert (not the character) thinks about what he says on the show.

Emma-O said...

Is it healthy that I'm the one that found the episode illegally on the net and downloaded it? And that it's sitting on my hard drive as we speak? And that Mr. Sullivan caught me displaying said clip on the library computer to all my innocent, unwary pal!friends? o_o

I have more to say on the Catholiciness of Colbert when I return from my doctor's appointment. Yay.

Emma-O said...

Doctor's appointment completed! X3

I really like this quote from him on religion:

'I love my Church, and I'm a Catholic who was raised by intellectuals, who were very devout. I was raised to believe that you could question the Church and still be a Catholic. What is worthy of satire is the misuse of religion for destructive or political gains. That's totally different from the Word, the blood, the body and the Christ. His kingdom is not of this earth.'

I really kind of agree with it, just because I struggled for a long time with the idea of questioning faith, since it seems like something that should be contradictory. I've finally accepted that questioning seems to only strengthen beliefs, so I liked that he said something to that effect.
I think the full interview is here...

Haha. 'Smug despair'. It's true.

rl said...

Contradiction, Magister. You always bragged about how you don't have a tv. Prove me wrong now! hahaha!