Friday, July 21, 2006

Destination: Lake Isle

I have arisen and gone now, and gone to Innisfree. I have not built a small cabin of clay and wattles made. I saw no bean rows, nor a hive for the honey bee. But I did get to set foot on the small, lovely island that Yeats was supposed to have imagined when he penned his famous poem.

The boat (which was a large one) pulled right up to the island. I was the first to leap off and land squarely on the poetic inspiration. I felt like Alexander minus the Hephaestion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alexander without Hephaestion? It's like... peanut butter without jelly... or Shakespeare without tights... or Tom without Katie...

Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on The Great? I recall Mr. Sullivan using the word "punk" and Mr. Ellison throwing "thug" around. I am continually tormented by the image of Alexander being played by a blond Colin Farrell. (Horrid, horrid sight. Horrid, horrid movie. Curse HBO and it's cinematic choices.)

Hansonius said...

I remember hearing the word "thug" bandied about last year in connection with Alexander the Great.

I have read that word applied to Augustus, as well.

My view of Alexander has been formed mostly by Plutarch, who is said to gild the lily.

I think it's a both/and situation with Alexander. He was a young man at the head of his father's highly trained army. He used those forces to invade and conquer. We may call that brutal or thuggish. But not any young man could lead those forces in the way and to the extent that he did.

Plus, let us not forget that his teacher was the Aristotle the great.